Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Winter Harbor Library

Bob found the Winter Harbor Library yesterday. We stopped in today on our way home from getting provisions in Ellsworth. The building is very unique with stone exterior and sumptuous stained glass windows. I had a lovely conversation with the librarian and a retired local art teacher. We discussed the teaching situation locally and Maine certification practices.

This is the link to the library website:

http://www.winterharbor.lib.me.us/

If you get the weekend WallStreet Journal, check out the Leisure and Arts Section. There is a very good article about a Winslow Homer exhibit at The Portland Museum of Art. It is entitled: This Must be the Place-- A Visit to Maine can Change the way you look at art. He talks about Homer's painting, "Weatherbeaten" --- "the timeless drama playing out on the rocks before his studio at Prouts Neck".

I may have to drive to Portland to see the exhibit. I saw the Homer's in Boston a couple of years ago.

I need to get up to my studio. We ate a nice lunch in Winter Harbor, so I am packing pbj's for the studio. The ocean is fogged in today.

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning, Dee!

    Your blog sent me scrambling to look at Homer's work and I went a bit before I started recognizing scenes. Sounds like a great exhibit.
    I have a rather silly/ non-artist question for you: Do you find it easier/more interesting to paint a "bound" ( rimmed by rocks, rimmed by trees), sea than an unbound one, perspective not withstanding?

    ReplyDelete