Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Traditional Wabanaki Birchbark Canoes by David Moses Bridges


Today we drove to Bar Harbor and the Abbe Museum for an amazing learning experience. Native American Artist, David Moses Bridges gave an informative talk and demonstration of traditional birchbark canoe making. Since I also make baskets, David's explanation of how the materials are gathered and prepared made me think how I could use these materials in my baskets. David's in depth knowledge of the types of trees and gathering practices was followed by more specific information about the hand built components for a canoe and the labor intensive fabrication of a finished canoe. David had the crowd captivated and it was an experience I will take with me. Take a look at David's website: www.davidmosesbridges.com

No comments:

Post a Comment