Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sea Fever


I must go down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by.

I must go down to the seas again,
for the call of the running tide
is a wild call and a clear call
that may not be denied.


And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume,
and the sea gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whales way
where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick's over.
by John Masefield

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite poems. The glimpses of the landscapes you are seeing and the works you have created and share are inspirations. I look forward to hearing more about your adventure and seeing your works when you return inland. - Ruth Ann

    ReplyDelete