Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

New York City Adventure

 My four day Manhattan adventure began last Thursday.  Amtrak brought me to Pennsylvania Station.   I had some time before my room was ready, so with suitcase in tow I walked to Bryant Park and enjoyed the lush, cool, greenery and lucked into "Broadway in the Park Thursday".  It was a great way to begin my stay.   

On Thursday afternoon, I walked to the Chelsea area of NYC and visited many contemporary art galleries.  It was very inspiring to see what artists are currently displaying in NYC galleries.  
One of my goals for this trip was to get over my unreasonable fear of traveling on the New York City subway by myself.  Armed with a great smartphone ap and the willingness to ask questions, I navigated the uptown and downtown routes with no problem. 

On Friday morning a short train ride and walk through Central Park brought me to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I wanted to see the completely finished American Wing, see the Durer exhibit, and see the Ellsworth Kelly drawing exhibit.  The Met did not disappoint.  My goals were met and lots of serendipitous events occurred also.  For example, while traveling through medieval art, I got to hear live period music from the balcony over the great hall. 













Van Gogh's shoes


Me in front of "Cloud City" ,a sculpture installation on the roof.


Durer-- the master of    drawing-- 6 studies of a pillow.



 I got to the Museum of Modern Art around 4 and was able to get a ticket to get in for free thanks to Free Fridays from Target.  The galleries were packed and my old favorite, Starry Night was swarmed with so many people that it was impossible to see it.  I still enjoyed MoMA and this was the perfect art ending to a perfect day.



 I had a small refrigerator in my room, so I was able to shop the local markets for fruit and yogurt.  I found a market on 8th and 26th street that was easy to get to and had what I needed. 







Here is a street vendor selling fruit also.



On Saturday, I decided to go to the Whitney rather than try to go to the Flea Market in Brooklyn.  Somehow getting off the subway, I went the wrong way, but even that was pleasant. 


The Whitney does not allow photography in its galleries.  The photo above shows part of the area beside the cafe.  The piece that will stay with me for years to come was the installation by Yayoi Kusama, "Fireflies on the Water".  This piece explores the idea of infinity.  You get one minute in a room that is covered with mirrors and has tiny colored lights suspended at different heights.  You stand on a small wooden platform above a pool of water.  Being in this space was like being part of a Hubble Space Telescope photograph.  I cried and prayed.     A....R.....T
 

No comments:

Post a Comment